Nuffnang's Ad

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Teochew Braised Duck, Kam Heong Restaurant @ PJ New Town

Lots of people know about the famous braised duck in PJ and as a duck lover myself, this is one of my favourite dinner place. Braised style food is originated from Teochew clan, and again as Teochew myself, it's my favourite style as well. Braised style food is basically done by immersed the entire food (duck) into the sauce and use slow fire to cook it until all the sauce is simmered into the meat for maximum flavoured. The slow cooking process also soften the texture of meat till it can be cut by chopstick.



Coming back to the famous shop in PJ that served the most famous Teochew Style Braised Duck is the Kam Heong restaurant in the center of the Petaling Jaya Old Town. This place only open at night and serves only Teochew style food below.


We arrived the place around 9.00pm and it's almost 70% packed. It's always full most of the time, as it seems everytime I went. Find your seat and the waitress will look for you to order. Basically there is nothing much to order, just a few choice available. If no people is coming to you, just take a walk to the counter and order to the lady there. They won't miss you once you are done.


The most famous favourite of the shop, of couse, is the Braised Duck. The sauce is crazily delicious and tasty while the duck meat is soft tendered at the same time. Sauce is fully immersed into the meat making it a dish that "drain" up your rice / porridge fairly quick! A good mixture of meat and skin is best to be eaten together, althought not very healthy, but you will not realise it because it just taste so good. As everyone know, human tends to love solid food to fill the hunger, and this soft tendered meat is not going to fill your stomach / mind properly. If you are hungry, order a bigger portion, I assure you that you will have no problem finishing such a delicious plate.


Teochew Salted Vegetable (Kiam Chay). Teochew all time favourites vegetables around the dinner table, the cooking style is similar to the braised duck, salty sauce covered entire pieces bit of vegetables and slowly cooked till soften and ensure the taste is immersed. This particular plate of salted vegetable got my vote because it's not too salty and just right balance  to eat without rice. I love Teochew food, so might be a little biased.


I've been to this place many times, so I know I'm not going to have enough, so I add up the Teochew Braised Pig Intestine to complete the dinner. I'm a big lover to this dish and you bet I will order this whenever it's available anytime anywhere. My wife don't dare to eat this so this is for me only. Not the best braised intestine that you can find, but a good supplement to the already good dinner.


Need to fill the stomach, so I ordered the rice. A good texture and somehow it goes very well with the braised duck sauce. I'm not sure what they add into the rice, but it sure taste good and soft as well. It's always the entire dining experience that leave you a good impression and the entire food range compliment each other very well. Not only tasty but you know you are eating a very healthy cook food around the PJ or KL area. That's the good thing about Teochew food.


My usual practice, herbal tea without ice to go with my dinner. Healthy and thirst killer after a saucy dinner.

There are other little choice of food as well, such as Braised Pork Trotter, Braised Mushrooms, Duck Intestines and Gizzards and Braised Tau Fu & Egg. Yeah, it's all braised, Teochew restaurant, what you expect? The price is affordable as well, around RM 20 for a dinner, RM10 for each person. I didn't record the exact price for each dish, but it will be around there. Teochew food is healthy & cheap.

My suggestion? Go out there and try this place out. It's the most famous Teochew Braised Duck in Malaysia and I'm all supporting this phrase. This place does really live up to its fame and you will either love it or think it's average. As Teochew myself, I can tell you that it's the best Braised Duck you can find. Normally good food need less review conclusion, I've just said it, it's the best you can find. Cheers.

Kam Heong Restaurant
8, Jalan Tengah
Off Jalan Yong Shook Lin
47300 Petaling Jaya
Opening Time: 5.00pm till 11.00pm
Location Coordinate: N3 05.967 E101 38.670

2 comments:

JooNgan said...

I am a Teochew myself. There is one restaurant, fully air-conditioned near my shop in Jalan Ampang serving one of the best Teochew dishes around. They also serve Hakka food. Its called Restoran Teochew & Hakka. Must give it a try. Open daily.

KVINLIM said...

Ok, will try out, thanks for the info =)

Post a Comment