Nuffnang's Ad

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fast Lens for my D90 - Part 2

After a deeper research on the fast lens, 2 out of the 5 lens mentioned earlier are shortlisted. And as I mentioned earlier, lucky me owned the D90, or else I would need to cough out almost double the price for the lens I want. For those that's considering buying a Nikon dSLR, I urge you guys to take this issue into consideration as well.


Here is the explanation, which form part of the reason I bought a D90. Nikon is good in stripping off all the non-important function and sell it off to people that has a budget constraint. Almost all of the DX camera from Nikon do not have a built-in motor for AF, except for the D90. If photography is your new interest, then you should have already know you will never stop with the camera purchase, in fact it is only the beginning.


So for long term investment, it make all sense to get the D90 which is almost RM2,xxx more of the D40 or D60 which will save you even more in future. A good lens can easily match the D90 price or even double it, so the saving you have on the AF lens will actually help to justify the D90.


Shortlisted Fast Lens:
1. AF Nikkor 50mm f1.8D - RM 468.00 (easy saving of RM820.00 ~64% of item 2 price)
2. AF Nikkor 50mm f1.4D - RM 1,288.00
Note: price quoted from Nikon Malaysia website




The only main difference between both of the lens are the speed. This topic is about "fast" lens, isn't it. So that's all matter. The f1.4D can easily allow you to do 1 further step down on your ISO or shutter speed, which makes all the different. A quick shutter at low light is everyone's dream, you will know what I mean if you have tried taking photos of a kid having his birthday party in a dim restaurant. That's what makes photographer chasing for better and better lens and that's why we are willing to pay so much for a better lens because it allow us to get the moment that we wanted.


The idea of paying almost 3 times more for an additional single step down is still cracking my head, just like when I am deciding for either D40 or D90. I have never use a fast lens before, so I don't know how much different it will make, but advice I heard is always to get the f1.4D, because most of us won't be buying this type of lens again once we owned one. So choose the best and invest in other type of lens, like ultra-wide and macro in future. Agreed, but still I am undecided.

No comments:

Post a Comment