Nuffnang's Ad

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New Restaurant Ipoh Chicken Rice @ Jalan Gasing

Since I'm from Ipoh, so it's norm for me to be curious of those restaurant that labelled themselves representating Ipoh to open food outlet in KL. Most famous Nga Choy Kei is no surprise to expand but as far as I'm aware, there is no branch in any other place than Ipoh. So whoever claimed they are from Ipoh, must be copying the name only, not anyone from the family of the famous restaurant from Ipoh.

I spotted this place in Jalan Gasing, Petaling Jaya named New Restaurant Ipoh Chicken Rice since 1977. Ok, that's before I'm even born, maybe I'm not aware then. Let's try out the food if it live up to its name.


This place open from morning till midnight, truly telling you that there is no specific time to enjoy the Ipoh Chicken Rice.

After ordering our food, I picked up my gear and started shooting.


A view of the kitchen just right at the front of the shop, very clean place and well organised. Everytime I come to this place for food, it's always packed. So no different this time, the staff are all very busy all night. Wondering how many chicken they serve a day. I heard Ipoh place served up to thousands bird per day during festive season.


The whole two shoplot is fully air-conditioned and if you opt for some fresh air, there are some tables outside the walkway. The place is packed and as said, there is no single time that I came to this place and it's not packed. Suppose the food is really good.


First to come is the Steamed Chicken that's only priced at RM4.50. We ordered the plate for a single person because we are taking up some other dish. The steamed chicken is fresh, good texture and the sauce is also overall good. It's easy to get fresh chicken with good texture, therefore the secret recipe lies on the special sauce that's served. It's secret so I'm not sure what they used, but it's very tasty. I personally think you can't find any other place in KL to serve better Nga Choy Kei than this place. However, if you compare it to the Nga Choy Kei from Ipoh, this is basically normal, yeah, lost by quite a big margin if you ask me.


Then the fat Bean Sprout priced at RM2.00 is served. Unbelievable that the bean sprout they served is bigger than the one from Ipoh! However, it does not taste as good. Reason being because of the bean sprout is too big, therefore the water is still contained inside and give a wash-thru taste from the sauce. Felt like eating raw bean sprout if you dont pick up more sauce with your spoon. The sauce taste is similar to the sauce served for the chicken, not as great but delicious enough.


The most expensive dish of the night, Roast Pork (Siew Yok) priced at RM10.00. The serving is ok but it's a little expensive in my opininon. Nothing to complain, it's nice and I think I will order again because the steamed chicken is ok only. Eating the roast pork with chilies served is one of my favourite at this place. It's very delicous and the skin is still crispy.


The super big Fish Ball priced at RM1.00 each. The fish ball is very big and smooth, and the soup is incredible delicious. I'm not sure if it's because of the ajinomoto but it's good. I suggest if you don't order the fish ball, do ask them to serve you a bowl of the soup. I think it's free, and it taste good, so why not. Or order just one fish ball and force them to serve it with soup, I'm thinking abit cheapskate, so I never do it. =P Paiseh so ordered two fishball =)


It's our dinner, so we got ourselves rice instead of the normal hor fun. The rice is quite expensive, selling at RM1.70 each plate. It's the normal chicken rice everywhere, but it's quite good. So no complain but I shall try out their Hor Fun next time.


Finished up our dinner with glass of chinese tea served at RM0.50 each. Same price for iced or not, and I just got off from jogging, so I took some ice. Very hot.

You can see that there is not much exciting in this post because I'm comparing this place with Ipoh Nga Choy Kei. Everything is normal when complaining to Ipoh Food, but overall, I think this place serves the best Nga Choy Kei in Kuala Lumpur or Petaling Jaya. I've tried a few restaurant around, and this place got my vote. Do consider this place if you suddenly hunger for some Nga Choy Kei and 200km is too far away.

The dinner summed up to RM24.00 including 5% tax. I'm giving thumbs up for this place to at least match the standard of my requirement. It's currently my favourite Nga Choy Kei restaurant in KL /PJ. Let me know if you think otherwise. Cheers.

New Restaurant Ipoh Chicken Rice
107 Jalan Gasing 10/1
46000 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
Tel: 03-7956 0958
Opening Time: 7.30am till 11.00pm everyday
Location Coordinate: N3 06.413 E101 39.209

No comments:

Post a Comment